We realise that many people want to save money by attempting DIY repairs at home with the aid of some half-informed YouTube video. But we feel we need to point out that this can be a risky – and potentially expensive – tactic at the best of times, but particularly so with a microwave. Bungled work on a microwave can potentially cause dangerous leaks of microwave energy. And even when the machine has been switched off for a period, the capacitor inside can still retain enough charge to deliver a fatal electric shock. For any appliance repair, always use a professional service.
Repair or Replace?
If you have a very cheap model of microwave, then it is probably more economical to replace. But most people tend to have a more expensive brand in their home, often a combination model too. If you need appliance repair in Abbotsford or North Vancouver, then we are a company you can trust to carry out any needed repairs proficiently and professionally. Maybe your microwave is no longer heating? If so, this is often an issue with the magnetron. If this has ‘burned out’, then it cannot be repaired and will need replacing. If we do not have a part in stock, we can source quickly and install.
Starting and Stopping
Another common problem that can need an appliance repair service is your microwave starting and stopping. This can be caused by a number of things: faulty switches on the door, broken or damaged seals, issues with the control panel, shorted transformer, internal fan not working, clogged cooling vent, defective buttons or control panel. Of these, only the clogged cooling vent is a repair that can be safely carried out yourself. The other faults all require the attention of someone with the training and experience to either repair the problem or to fit replacement parts if needed.
Nothing Happens When I Press Buttons
If you think about it, these buttons can take a lot of punishment, so it is no surprise that this is one of the most common faults our Abbotsford Appliance Repair technicians are called out to. It usually means that the buttons/touch pad have been damaged or are defective. Another explanation is that the microwave’s main control board is broken or has shorted. Our staff can usually identify these issues quickly and will be able to advise you whether it can be repaired or whether replacement part(s) are needed.
Bulbs and Sparks
If the light inside your microwave has stopped working, then it may be need more than simple replacement. It could be a problem with the wiring or even with the socket itself. Another fault which can be initially quite scary is if you see sparks inside your oven during operation. There could be several reasons for this, including burned diodes, damaged wave cover, or even worn out paint on the inside of your microwave. As with most issues, we recommend you call one of our professionals to inspect and diagnose the fault.